Thursday 25 March 2010

Deal or No Deal - Last day


So today was sadly my last day. I was first with Jecery Rossini 1 of 2 camera assistants on the studio floor. She's worked on lots of other programmes including Big Brother, and said the cameras they were using were actually from the Big Brother series. We first went over the cameras and the only control they actually have over them are the focus and zoom control and they actually see the shot in black and white. I got to have a go and practise on small things like Jess walking around the studio, then during the live recording shoot some of the audience cut away shots which was exciting.















They have 7 cameras operating on the studio floor 5 large cameras on bases, 2 hand held and 1 steady cam. The steady cam I think was the most impressive piece of kit valuing at around £30,000! You also need to be quite strong to hold the weight of the vest on your shoulders and there were a few protein shakes kicking around back stage!

After being with cameras for the first show I quickly seized my opportunity to get an interview with very experienced Floor Manager Greg Williams in between the break. He's used to being behind the camera so was a little uneasy behind it!




For the second show I was with uncle who are the post production house for Deal or No Deal. It's actually quite unusual to have a studio right next to a post production house and I'd heard it can be good and bad. I was first in with Senior Editor James and he showed me the ropes of Avid and how simple but fast paced the editing was. A show takes around 4 days sometimes 3 to edit and at 3 shows filmed a day they are about 3 months behind actual production. James explained it's not so much that the edit takes along time that can be finished within a day if that; it's the cutting down of the show from 90minute recordings to 35 minute coherent entertaining shows. Although it was interesting to see how everything works I did get a little bored after a while as I wasn't actually able to do anything but watch and was itching to get back in the studio!

After editing the last shadowing of the day I was in the production meeting. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a lot of time with the research team or the producers as I would need an extra week just to be able to shadow as the casting process is fairly lengthy including auditions etc. However the meeting gave me a little insight into their job; they hold auditions all over the country and from that need to come up with a short list. With 3 shows being filmed a day and 3 new contestants coming and going every day they need to be organised. In the production meeting they went over the call cards Noel would be given in the show that tell the audience a little bit about the contestants. They discussed stories that should be kept that Noel could bounce off throughout the show and stories to drop. They also have to find out in detail all about the contestants, their stories and their lives.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my placement and to tell the truth didn't want to leave! Which is why I was so happy when Annelise told me she wouldn't hesitate in giving me a job at entry level and to call when I've finished my degree! It was quite sad saying bye to everyone as I'd got on with all the runners and audience team and only wish placement would have been another week longer! I also got a contact from Jacqui the Production Assistant in the gallery who's freelance and works on shows like Strictly and XFactor and said she's working on a range of things so to get in contact if I needed a job anywhere.

From working and shadowing there it's definitely swayed me more into production as I loved being in the studio. I'm now particularly interested in the Floor Manager role so will look for more experience as an AFM and then who knows!

Lastly my top tip from Dan Winterburn vision mixer : 'Firstly you need to know how everything works and how to do the job; but the thing that's going to swing it in your favour is will they enjoy working with you? You must be able to talk to and get along with people because they'll remember you, and when a job comes up they'll think, hey, yeah she was good'

No comments: